No matter what you are teaching, the BYU Research & Writing Center is happy to support writers from your courses.
Writing Center Services and Resources
- Individualized writing consultations, tailored to writers and writing assignments,
- Handouts for use in the classroom or as additional resources for writers
- Reference materials (handbooks, style guides, etc.) in Writing Center locations
- Email notification to faculty of student visits (with writer’s consent)
- Workshops and presentations to support classroom instruction
- Consultant training and awareness of specific genres and writing assignments
- Resources for classroom peer review instructor guide & student worksheet
Recommendations for Helping Students Use Writing Center Services
- Explain peer review as a professional and academic practice
- Familiarize yourself with the Writing Center and its offerings
- Introduce students to Writing Center services:
- Encourage students to visit well in advance of deadlines to ensure time for revision and to avoid long lines.
Make your students aware of the Writing Center and its resources by including a statement in your syllabus:
The BYU Research & Writing Center (3340 HBLL) is a valuable and free resource where trained and certified writing consultants provide individualized assistance on any assignment and at any stage of the writing process. When you visit, remember to bring your assignment description along with any specific questions. Research help from library consultants is also available. More information can be found at writingcenter.byu.edu.
Resources for Faculty writing and teaching
Faculty and staff writers are welcome to use Research & Writing Center services in addition to other on-campus programs designed to assist faculty with writing, editing, and teaching: