Beginning March 18, the RWC will offer online-only assistance for the remainder of the Winter 2020 Semester.
- To make a virtual Zoom appointment, login and navigate to our “Synchronous (Zoom) Consultations” schedule. For details about this service, click here.
- To make a virtual email appointment, login and navigate to our “Asynchronous (Email) Consultations” schedule. For details about this service, click here.
- To request a virtual drop-in consultation, chat with our receptionists here to be connected with the next available research or writing consultant via Zoom.
The BYU Research & Writing Center supports students from across campus with their research and writing needs.
Students who visit the RWC meet with a trained undergraduate writing or research consultant who will get to know them and the assignment, discuss their questions and concerns, review and discuss their work or ideas, and share feedback and resources to facilitate students’ long-term learning. The consultant’s highest priority is to help students meet assignment expectations and develop increased confidence as writers and researchers.
Research & Writing Center Services and Resources
- Individualized research or writing consultations, tailored to learners and assignments, either face-to-face or online
- Handouts and resources for use in the classroom
- Reference materials (handbooks, style guides, etc.)
- Email notification to faculty of student visits (with student’s consent)
- Workshops and presentations to support classroom instruction
- Resources for classroom peer review instructor guide & student worksheet
Recommendations for Helping Students Use Research & Writing Center Services
- Familiarize yourself with the Research & Writing Center mission and resources
- Introduce students to RWC services:
- Encourage students to visit well in advance of assignment deadlines to ensure time for revision and to avoid long lines
- Help students identify specific questions to address or feedback to solicit during their consultation
- Remember that meeting with a writing or research consultant in the RWC should not replace classroom instruction or attendance
Make your students aware of the Research & Writing Center and its resources by including a statement in your syllabus:
The BYU Research & Writing Center (3340 HBLL) is a valuable, free resource where trained undergraduate consultants provide individualized assistance on assignments at any stage of the research and writing process. Consultants aim to help you meet assignment expectations, answer questions, and increase your skills and confidence in research and writing. Before visiting, familiarize yourself with the RWC’s services and resources. When visiting, bring whatever materials will help the consultant best help you, including your assignment description, feedback from your instructor or TA, specific questions, and related materials. To learn more, visit rwc.byu.edu
Learning Suite Announcement Flyer
Provide your students with quick access to Research & Writing Center hours and location by copying and pasting the following image into a Learning Suite announcement:
Resources for Faculty Writing and Teaching
Faculty and staff writers are welcome to use Research & Writing Center services in addition to other on-campus programs designed to assist faculty with writing, editing, and teaching: